Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, January 14, 2013

Too Bright to Hear Too Loud to See by Juliann Garey


How I Heard About It:   As I'm writing this post I can't quite remember where I saw this title, but it might have been Amazon.  I also know I read about it in a couple of different places and that I always a sign that it might be a book that I want to read. 

What It Is About:  This is the story of a Hollywood movie agent who has the life most of us would dream of.  He has a beautiful loving wife, a wonderful daughter, a career that he always wanted.  There is just one problem.  He is hiding a major secret from the rest of the world.  Greyson is suffering from Bi-Polar Disorder.  He has been able to hide it for most of his life, but reaches a point where that isn't possible any longer.  The reader goes on a journey with Greyson as he spirals out of control and the disease gets the better of him.  Everything he has known and depended on is at risk and the road he takes is a destructive one. 

What I Thought Of It:   The story grabbed me right from page one and didn't let go until the very last page.  It was fascinating to read about Greyson's life with the highs and lows (very low) of bi-polar disorder.  It almost read like a memoir, but of course is fiction.  There were some pretty dark moments and choices that Greyson made that I didn't like, but I believe were necessary to show the extremes of this disease.  I could tell that the author did her research.  It was a spell-binding story and by the end you were wishing and hoping for the best for this courageous character. 

Who Should Read It:   People that enjoy reading stories about people and their problems will love this book.  It is fast-paced and reaches deep down into the depths of bi-polar.  As the reader you will go on a roller coaster ride with Greyson.  Sometimes you will cheer him on and at other times you will be yelling at him for the situations he gets himself into.  If you choose to read this book, you can't mind dysfunction or some dark moments, but will definitely be in for a fascinating and wonderful novel! 

No comments:

Post a Comment