Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Boy on the Porch by Sharon Creech...

How I Heard About It:   Sharon Creech is one of my all-time favorite authors.  My favorite middle-grade novel is Walk Two Moons.  Seeing this new book on the shelf at the book store was exciting and filled with anticipation.  While on a car trip to Lincoln, Nebraska to visit my daughter, I read the entire book.  It did not disappoint.  

What It Is About:    John and Marta are a simple couple who live out on a farm alone.  One morning they find a young boy on their porch.  He has been left there with a note that simple states "We will return."  They aren't sure what to do, but they take in the child named Jacob.  Jacob is a precious child who doesn't speak, but greatly understands the world around him.  He is artistic, musical, and has a unique relationship with the animals on the farm.  Days and days go by and John and Marta become quite attached to Jacob.  They are torn between reporting the missing child and keeping him as their own.  The day finally comes when Jacob's parent returns to claim his son.  At this point, everyone's life is turned upside down.  

What I Thought Of It:   What a little gem of a book.  The writing was exquisite.  The story was simply enchanting.  The characters were unforgettable.  Every page was simple, to the point, and crystal clear.  As much as I wanted to rush the reading to find out how things would turn out, I took my time because that is what is required for this story.  The story of John, Marta, and Jacob touched my heart and I know I sighed aloud when I finished the final three words!  

Who Should Read It:   This is not a long novel.  The chapters are short.  The writing is beautiful.  If a student was going to read this on their own, I think they would need to at least be in grade four and would be perfect for readers in grades five and six.  In my opinion, I think this would make a fabulous read aloud.  It is my plan to share this story with my fourth graders.  I know they will be drawn into the world of these incredible characters and Jacob's story.  Happy Reading...

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars!



No comments:

Post a Comment