Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, October 19, 2013

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman...

How I Heard About It:   I knew Neil Gaiman as a children's author.  I didn't realize he also wrote for adults.  After seeing this book publicized in many different magazines, newspapers, and of course on Twitter.  With the start of our new season of the BBC (Boy's Book Club); I decided to pick this title for us to read.  

What It Is AboutI finished this book a few weeks ago, but have been putting this review off because I wasn't sure I would be happy to put in words what it is about.  I don't normally read fantasy/science fiction, but thought I would give it a try with this book.  This story starts out with a man attending a funeral back in the English town that he grew up in.  He finds himself with some time and makes his way back to his boyhood home.  As he spends time here, he thinks back to his childhood and some very "bizarre" and "supernatural" events that took place.  The boy meets Lettie Hempstock an eleven year old girl who has been this age for many years.  She lives with her mother and grandmother who both have "special" powers.  When an evil spirit enters the boy's body, Lettie is determined to help him.  The evil spirit leaves the boy's body and becomes a human/monster that makes her presence knows in his home.  The rest of the story reveals and describes how the boy with the help of Lettie, her mother, and her grandmother get rid of this evil spirit before it destroys his life along with his family's lives. 

What I Thought Of It:   Being an avid reader of fiction, I don't normally venture into the world of fantasy/science fiction.  Part of the reason is that I find I can't relate to the story and/or understand it to the true extent of the story.  As I'm getting older, I'm trying to spread my wings a bit and read from things I wouldn't normally read from.  This book would fit that category.  I must say I enjoyed the story even though there were times when I wasn't quite sure what was going on.  I got confused when the "creature" would show up and be a part of the story.  I kept plowing through and made it to the end.  I did think the writing was excellent and I was intrigued by the story.  I'm glad I read it.  I may not have understood everything, but overall thought the story was pretty good.  

Who Should Read It:  If you are a reader that enjoys fantasy/science fiction, I think you would really enjoy this novel.  I'm in the minority of giving this book only three stars.  As I checked the Good Reads and Amazon sites, I saw that many readers gave this book either four or five stars.  I also know readers that have enjoyed Gaiman's other works, will definitely enjoy this novel.  Happy Reading...

Rating:  3 STARS out of 5 Stars!



No comments:

Post a Comment