Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, November 23, 2014

I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson...

How I Heard About It:  If you are on Twitter, there is no way you could miss the "talk" about this novel.  After reading so many "tweets" about it, I had to hit the bookstore and get my own copy.  

What It Is About:  Jude and Noah are twins.  The story goes back and forth between when they are ages 13/14 and 16/17.  Noah tells the story when they are 13/14 and Jude tells the story when they are 16/17.  The twins are extremely close, but as they continue to grow up life events get in the way of their relationship.  Both are incredible artists and their mother wants them to attend a prestigious art school.  The competition between the siblings begins.  While Noah is age 13, he meets a neighbor boy that is everything he wants in life.  Unfortunately Jude gets in the way, the Noah can't ever forgive her.  While Jude is 16 and attending the art school, she seeks out an art tutor to help her with her craft.  The art tutor becomes a part of both Jude and Noah's life, but the consequences will be life changing.

What I Thought Of It:  I know I say this many times, but I absolutely loved this novel.  Once I started it I could not put it down.  This was a book that I finished within days.  The story was powerful, heart-wrenching, and incredible.  I completely liked the characters of Jude and Noah.  The relationship between the twins was so interesting to read about and the ups and downs they faced were realistic.  It was entertaining to read this book and race toward the end to see what will finally happen with the twins, their family, and the people that surrounded them.

Who Should Read It:  Even though this book is advertised as a young adult novel, I have been recommending it to my adult reader friends.  The story is appropriate for high school readers and above.  Some of the content is quite mature.  I have thought about this book many times after finishing and I know readers will enjoy it just as much.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment