Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, November 9, 2014

Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult...

How I Heard About It:  I am a member of the BBC (Boy's Book Club).  This is a small group of men that I teach with.  We each take a turn in picking out a selection for the members to read.  This was our most recent pick that one of the guys picked.  I downloaded it to my Kindle and started reading.  It had been quite some time since I had read a Jodi Picoult novel.  It was good to read one of her stories once again.

What It Is About:  This is not an easy story to summarize.  The cast of characters include:  Jenna, a thirteen year old girl in search of her mother; Alice, the mother who disappeared ten years ago; Serenity, a physic who Jenna asks to help find her mother; Virgil, a detective who was on the case of Alice ten years ago and is now asked to help Jenna and Serenity; and Tom, the father who is in a mental hospital after having a nervous breakdown ten years ago when his wife Alice disappeared.  Jenna goes on a quest with the help of Serenity and Virgil to find out what really happened at the elephant sanctuary where both her parents worked when she was just three years old.  An employee was found dead on the sanctuary property, Alice ended up in the hospital and then disappeared, Tom ended up in the mental hospital, and Jenna ended up living with her grandmother with many unanswered questions.  

What I Thought Of It:  I started this book a bit during the school week this past week and finished it this morning.  Once I had some real time to read, I couldn't put it down and couldn't stop reading it.  This was a great read and reminded me how much I enjoy Jodi Picoult novels.  I liked how the chapters were alternately told from the viewpoints of Jenna, Alice, Serenity, and Virgil.  The information about the traits and behaviors of elephants was also quite interesting.  After reading the book, I now really want to travel to Africa to see these wonderful creatures.  As I made my way through the story, I started to read faster and faster because I wanted to find out what really happened that night at the elephant sanctuary.  In true Picoult fashion, the conclusion left me stunned and surprised.  This was a completely enjoyable read!

Who Should Read It:  If you have read any of Jodi Picoult's books, then you must read her latest one. It will not disappoint.  If you are a fan of good "page-turning" fiction, then you must read this.  If you are looking for a story that will keep you up late reading, this is it.  I know adult readers will truly enjoy this latest work of an incredible author.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment