Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Danger is Everywhere by David O'Doherty and Chris Judge...

How I Heard About It:  While browsing for books I came across this book cover.  It caught my attention.  I scanned through the pages and it looked like something that my students might enjoy.  So of course I purchased it.  I read it over my holiday break.  

What It Is About:  This is quite a different book.  I guess I would describe it as part fiction and part nonfiction.  It is a guide for young readers to stay away from ALL dangerous situations that they might come across in their lives.  Of course there is a silly sides to all of the solutions. One example is in order to stay away from swimming in a pool danger, the main character drained the whole pool.  There are tips in the book on how to escape danger in the home, at school, during the holidays, with animals, and much more.  The goal is for the reader to complete the entire book, learn all the safety tips, and be able to earn the DOD (Diploma of Dangerology).  

What I Thought Of It:  This was a quick read and as I mentioned different from other middle-grade books.  As an adult reader, I didn't love it, but also realize it is written for young readers.  I kept thinking of my fourth grade readers and knew they would love this book and the structure it is set up in.  There is lots of silly examples, outrageous solutions, and just plain fun.  I enjoyed how it seemed like a story, but with many factual tidbits along the way.  The graphics were fun to look at and added greatly to the book.

Who Should Read It:  This is definitely a book for young readers.  It also needs to be in the hands of the reader because of the structure of the book and all the illustrations.  It is perfect for readers in grades three through six.  If you have a reluctant reader in your class and/or know one, then this is the book for them.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment