Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, January 24, 2015

The Terrible Two by Jory John and Mac Barnett...

How I Heard About It:   I remember seeing a "Tweet" from Colby Sharp months ago that he was enjoying this book so of course I put it on my book radar.  

What It Is About:  Miles has just moved to a new town and school.  He was known for pulling the best "pranks" at his former school.  He wants to continue this tradition now, but he has some major competition at his new school with a boy named Miles.  Yep, Miles and Niles.  As these two youngsters get to know each other, a rivalry begins to establish who is the better "prankster."  Of course all of the pranks are driving the principal, Mr. Barkin, crazy and he makes it his mission to find out who is pulling the pranks.  Unfortunately this might come as a cost to his very own son.

What I Thought Of It:   This was a completely enjoyable story and one that I know my students are going to enjoy.  I love the format of the book.  In my opinion it is a chapter book, but has lots of illustrations on every page.  The two characters of Miles and Niles were fun to read about and each  unique in their own way.  The "major" prank at the end of the story is a prank to end all pranks.  I can't wait to share this book with the readers in my class.

Who Should Read It:  I'm so glad that more and more books are being published that are perfect and appealing to young readers.  The format of this particular book is geared toward the third and fourth grade reader.  I'm also thinking that a strong reader in second grade would be able to handle it.  It would even work for readers in the upper grades, especially if they are a reluctant or struggling reader.  I know this novel will be a welcome addition to my classroom library.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment