Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, September 3, 2015

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green...

How I Heard About It:  On August 12th I took my daughter back to college in Lincoln, NE.  We drove down together, but I was going to have to come back on my own.  Since I had a six-hour drive back home, I hit the library to pick up an audio book.  I ran across this title by John Green.  Having read several of his other novels, I decided to give this one a try.  

What It Is About:  Colin Singleton has had a long history of dating.  He seems to be attracted to one particular type of girl.  She has the name "Katherine".  Colin in fact has dated nineteen different girls all with the names Katherine.  It all began when he was a very young boy.  After getting dumped for the nineteenth time by a Katherine, he and his best friend Hassan decide they need a "road trip" to help Colin recover from this breakup and Hassan needs to get away from his parents.  The two end up in Gutshot, Tennessee where they decide to spend some time to get to know the locals.  After getting to know Lindsey Lee Wells, the boys get a job in the local factory and move in with Lindsey's family.  Events begin to unfold as Colin tries to break his streak with Katherines and find happiness with Lindsey.  Lindsey has a long history with the town and the people in it and this may affect what happens with Colin.  Hassan things he is along for the ride, but his life will change after their time in Gutshot.  

What I Thought Of It:  Probably like most readers, I compare all of John Green's novels to the first one I read by him The Fault in our Stars.  That book will always stand alone as a top-notch special piece of fiction.  This particular novel isn't as good as that novel, but it was quite enjoyable.  I thought it was a very clever idea to include all the Katherines in one story with one young man.  Colin and Hassan were awesome guys and such positive fun characters to read about.  I loved when they hit the town of Gutshot and all that happened in this small town of Tennessee.  There were lots of great life lessons throughout the story.  

Who Should Read It:  This is the perfect novel for high school and college readers.  I think they would be able to relate to the story and the various characters in the book.  There are some mature themes throughout the novel, so the reader should definitely be in high school or above.  An adult reader that has read other John Green books, would also find this a satisfying read.  Happy Reading!     

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment