Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Life and Other Near-Death Experiences by Camille Pagan...

How I Heard About It:  I actually received an ARC of this novel via Net Galley.  I knew nothing about it, but was intrigued by the title so I downloaded it onto my Kindle and began reading.  

What It Is About:  Libby had been having a wonderful life.  After a visit to the doctor where she receives devastating news and returning home to get more horrible news from her husband, Libby decides she needs to make some changes.  She marches into her job and quits.  She goes to a real-estate agent to sell her home.  Libby decides to escape to a Caribbean island where her mother had spent time.  After a near crash with a Pilot named Shiloh, Libby tries to find peace in this tropical location.  She has left her past behind and surrounded herself with new people, but finds it isn't easy to start a new.  Shiloh and Libby begin a "relationship" and he begins to learn about the past she is running from.  After Libby's twin brother finds her on the island, she knows she has to face her problems once and for all.  

What I Thought Of It:  This was a light (even though serious subject matter) read and quite enjoyable.  The issues that Libby must face are not easy, the story line had lots of humor and light-hearted moments.  She was a strong character that wasn't going to let external factors determine her future.  There were some aspects of the story that left loose-ends, but they didn't distract from the overall enjoyable of this story.  I had never read anything by this author, but I plan to look for other works by her.  

Who Should Read It:  The novel came out on November 1st and is perfect for the reader who enjoys fiction.  I think female readers may relate to it more than male readers, it does have something for everyone.  It reads very easy and was a quick read.  There are lots of great messages/themes in the story and after reading it, I'm reminded to live my own life to the fullest.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment