Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, February 13, 2016

The Tiara on the Terrace by Kristen Kittscher...


How I Heard About It:  I read the first book The Wig in the Window a few years back.  It was quite an enjoyable read.  After reading that book I got to know Kristen via Twitter.  She was kind enough to send me an ARC of this novel back in the fall.  Some great "swag" also was sent with the book.  I had the privilege of meeting Kristen at NCTE15 this last November.  Recently I finally got around to reading the ARC she sent.  

What It Is About:  Sophie and Grace are back for another adventure and mystery to solve.  The townspeople of Luna Vista are gearing up to celebrate the 125th anniversary of the Winter Sun Festival.  There are many activities surrounding the festival including floats, parades, and of course a court of royalty.  Sophie and Grace are involved with the float construction when a body is discovered on a float and the "circumstances" of the death are questionable.  At first the girls don't think they want to be involved with the "mystery", but after they realize this situation might involve an actually murder, they know they need, and want, to put on the sleuth hats and get busy trying to solve another crime in Luna Vista.  This time they find themselves joining the royal court to get an inside peek at the behind the scenes happenings.  Everyone becomes a suspect and the girls work long and hard to figure out who is truly behind these crimes.  The girls and a few helpers find themselves in several dangerous situations and often come to near "end" during many situations during their investigation.  

What I Thought Of It:  I remember enjoying the first book very much and I think this time around I enjoyed it even more.  It was a fun and different premise to have young "detectives" solving a crime with a festival, parade, and royalty court as the backdrop.  There were lots of twists and turns along the way which made for an engaging read that didn't let up until the "surprising" conclusion.  Not only was the mystery fascinating, but I enjoyed reading about the girls, their friendship, and the ups and downs that came with it.  All and all it was a top-notch reading experience.  I'm thankful I was able to receive an advanced copy.  

Who Should Read It:  This is the perfect book for readers in fourth, fifth, and sixth.  I also think middle-school readers would also enjoy it.  I don't normally like to classify a novel as a female story or male story, but with this particular book I think it is geared more toward the girl readers.  They would love all the "pomp and circumstance" surrounding the festival and pageant.  Adult readers who enjoy middle-grade fiction and/or mysteries, will also find this a satisfying read.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment