Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, October 17, 2016

The Unfinished Angel by Sharon Creech

How I Heard About It:  Another audio book that I recently checked out via my public library.  When I wanted to read the Sharon Creech novels I missed, I didn't realize how many there were.  It has been fun going back to some older titles.  She is one of my favorite authors.  

What It Is About:  There is an angel living in a tower in the Swiss Alps.  She/He has been there for many years and not much has happened with this angel.  When an American girl named Zola arrives in this village, life for this Angel will change.  There are moments when the Zola and the Angel team up together and there are other moments when they are on opposite sides.  Both these characters have an impact on many of the villagers, the children, and even some of the pets that reside here.  

What I Thought Of It:  I don't like it when I don't have the most positive review to give to a book.  Especially when it is written by one of my favorite authors.  This story just didn't do it for me.  I listened on audio and that may be part of the reason, but I was quite confused as to what was really going on during this story.  It was a confusing plot line and I didn't follow it.  I couldn't keep track of some of the minor characters and how they fit in with the whole story.  Maybe it was the timing, my frame of mind, or just this particular story, but it didn't do it for me.  

Who Should Read It:  This is a hard one to respond to.  I'm not sure young readers will be able to follow this story.  Actually, maybe they would be able to and it was just me that couldn't.  The story is very different from Creech's other novels.  There are elements of magic and fantasy which many young readers will enjoy.  It is a shorter book so readers in fourth, fifth, and sixth will be able to handle the text quite easily.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  3 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment