Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, December 25, 2016

Darling Days by iO Tillett Wright

How I Heard About It:  This title came to me via a review in a magazine.  I can't remember which magazine, but the review was quite positive.  That exact day we happened to visit a BN store, I saw the title, and bought it.  I don't normally read memoirs, but when I do I really enjoy them.  

What It Is About:  iO Tillett was born in downtown New York during the 1980's.  iO's mother Rhonna had quite a "colorful" life and brought iO into a world and culture that any child should not be exposed to.  iO was born a female, but identified with being a male.  She decided to make this change during her early years, and with that came many consequences.  Her mother defended her no matter the cost and the two of them set out to conquer their worlds.  There were times of love and support between the mother and daughter/son and there were also times when the two of them were unable to live together and/or even interact.  iO struggled to find an environment where she/he could be his self and find true happiness.  He travels the country, attends a variety of school, and lives with a variety of people that all have an impact on his journey through life.  

What I Thought Of It:  There were high points to the memoir and parts that I wasn't particularly interested in.  Overall, it was quite an intriguing life story and one that my heart hurt for the main character because she/he had to endure so much during their early lifetime.  The writing was quite different and took me awhile to get use to, but once I did I found a great reading flow.  I'm always interested in reading about the struggles and successes in people's life.  I'm glad I took the time to read this memoir and it added greatly to my understanding of the "transgender" community.  

Who Should Read It:  Memoir readers will truly enjoy this book because there is a little bit of everything included during the telling of "his" story.  It is definitely a read for high school and/or adult readers.  The story will expose her to a life you most likely haven't witnessed, but will help you appreciate what some children can overcome during their early years.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment