Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

The Julian Chapter (A Wonder Story) by R.J. Palacio

How I Heard About It:  One would have to be living under a rock to not have heard of Wonder by R.J. Palacio.  When I read it years ago it became one of my favorite middle-grade novels.  I shared it with my students for many years to come after.  I knew about the follow-up stories, but never read them myself.  When I ran across the audio of this story at the public library, I knew it was time to return to the "Auggie" stories.  

What It Is About:  Julian was not the favorite character in Wonder.  I remember my students "disliking" him ALOT.  This particular novel tells a similar story, but from the point of view of Julian.  We learn about Julian during the initial days when Auggie begins school during their fifth grade year.  We get background information about Julian, his family, and the relationships he has with kids at school.  After Julian gets in trouble for "bullying" Auggie and others at school, he is suspended.  His parents aren't happy and make some trouble for the school and administrators.  They travel to France to visit Julian's grandmother.  While there Julian shares his story with his grandmother and she in returns shares her story that had a major impact on her grandson.  Major life lessons are learned and Julian must make some tough choices.  

What I Thought Of It:  Loved it!  It was so wonderful to revisit these characters that I came to love back in the days of Wonder.  Even though Julian wasn't a kind guy in the first story, it was still enjoyable to read from his point of view.  I enjoyed the middle and end of the story more than the beginning.  I thought the addition of the grandmother's story was brilliant and worked so well with the overall story.  My only complaint was that it was short and over too quickly.  I'm excited to read the other editions in this "series".  

Who Should Read It:  Anyone that has read Wonder must read this "chapter".  It is so interesting to get Julian's perspective on the whole plot.  It is the perfect book for readers in grades four, five, and six.  As always, adult readers that have only read Wonder, definitely need to read this novel.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment