Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, August 24, 2017

American Fire: Love, Arson, and Life in a Vanishing Land by Monica Hesse

How I Heard About It:  As much as I've been on a middle-grade novel "kick", I'm still always looking for books published for adults.  When I saw Franki Sibberson post a "tweet" about this book, I ordered it from Amazon and finished it this afternoon.  

What It Is About:  This story takes the reader to Accomack Country, Virginia during the years of 2011, 2012, 2013, and beyond.  It all began with one fire.  This was nothing out of the ordinary.  What was different was when there was a second fire in the following days.  Then a third.  After this a forth fire.  They kept coming night after night.  The fire fighters couldn't believe this was happening.  They grew tired, frustrated, and "burned out".  Law enforcement  agencies did everything they could to find the "arsonist".  The citizens of Accomack Country grew weary and suspicious of everyone.  Fire after fire.  Night after night.  Destruction after destruction.  After many, many fires; the "arsonist" and/or "arsonists" are finally caught and the story they have to tell is unreal, unprecedented, and unbelievable.  

What I Thought Of It:  One of the reading gaps in my reading life is nonfiction for adults.  Actually all nonfiction.  It is really a reading goal I would like to focus in on more.  This is the second nonfiction book I've read in the last couple of weeks.  I'm learning that nonfiction that falls in the "narrative" format is quite to my liking.  This story read as a novel and I had to keep reminding myself that is was a true story.  The book was a page-turner and there were moments when I just couldn't believe what I was reading.  I was curious and interested during the entire read.  It was fascinating to learn about the actual arsonists, but I also enjoyed learning about the history of arson.  All and all it was completely enjoyable and shows me how wonderful nonfiction narratives can be.  

Who Should Read It:  I would recommend this book to all of my friends that enjoy strong nonfiction stories.  Both male and female adult readers, and some high school readers, would find this an intriguing and thought-provoking reading experience.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment