Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, August 14, 2017

An Inside Look #30 - Season #TWO (AUTHOR Interview)


An Inside Look With Ellie Terry

(Author of Forget Me Not)


*This was a new feature I added to the blog during the summer of 2016.  It was a shot in the dark that it would work, but much to my surprise; it took off and over the last year I conducted 22 interviews with a variety of authors.  

*It has been such an honor to connect with authors and "chat" about their novel, characters, and thoughts about the story.



*I didn't have time for interviews during the school year, but I'm excited to be back for "season #TWO".  

*I'm hoping to run this feature at least once a week.  There is nothing more satisfying than sharing and promoting a book/author/character that I have fallen in love with.  

*Thank you to Ellie for being the EIGHTH author of the second season.  I truly appreciate it.  

*Here are links to the first TWENTY-NINE interviews…










*As I got more into the idea of "Mock Newbery" I kept seeing this title as a possible contender with young readers.  So many readers were raving about the story on Twitter and I knew it was time for me to read it.

*I sat down one afternoon and read the entire story.  It was so good and I could see why people were talking about the book and how good it was.  I know this will be a story I share with my fourth graders during this upcoming year.  

*Here is a link to my review of Forget Me Not...



*Thank you Ellie for writing this novel for middle-grade readers and taking the time to share your thoughts with us here on the blog...

Forget Me Not
by Ellie Terry (Released March 14, 2017)



How did you come to know Calliope?
Because I put so much of myself into this novel, Calli formed pretty easily in my mind. I'd say she's a good mix of past me, present me, and the me I'd like to be in the future. 


What do you think is Calliope's most admirable quality?
It's a toss between tenacity and hope. 


Is there anything you wish Calliope would have changed or done differently in her story?
Bold question! 😁 I can't think of anything off the top of my head, so I think the answer is no. 


What do you think Calliope can offer to other children that are experiencing similar situations to what she went through?  
Strength to go through hard things. Courage to embrace what makes them different. 


How did you research Calliope and the circumstances she found herself in?
Because two of my children and I have Tourette's and OCD, I had already done at least a year of heavy research on those topics, not to mention a lifetime of personal experiences. Some of Calli's situations are pulled from my own head/heart. For example, I had to move to new states twice in my youth. The second time was ON MY 14th BIRTHDAY (I know!) and leave behind a school I loved and many wonderful friends and it was extremely hard on me emotionally. Other situations came from ones that members of my family have experienced.


Do you and Calliope share any similarities?  
Yes. We both have Tourette syndrome, OCD, and other anxiety disorders. We both love cheese puffs, the moon, and astronomy. Also... I lived next-door to a cute boy the same age as me who became my very good friend. 


What was the hardest scene to write about Calliope?
Emotionally? Or physically? Haha. I'll tell you both.

Emotionally: it was the poem called "Forget Me Not". I don't want to give away spoilers, so I'm not going to explain the scene, but writing that page broke my heart... and it breaks my heart again every time I read it.

Physically: the scene where Calli first experiences her jaw-popping tic. I was popping my jaw as I wrote it (which really hurts!) but it was also very therapeutic for me to get that feeling down on paper.  


Who do you think was Calliope's biggest supporter and why?
Jinsong! Maybe he's not there for her through out the entire story like a true friend should be... but he was the one who got Calli thinking more positively about herself and he is definitely a true friend in the end. 


Why do you think some children are able to share their “disabilities” so easily with their friends/classmates while others do everything in their power to hide the “disability”?    
I think a lot of factors come into play here. Firstly, the child's parent's/doctor's/teacher's attitudes toward the disability can have a huge impact on the child's attitude toward the disability (for good or for bad). Reasons a child may have trouble sharing could include the fact they've already been bullied because of it, they may be embarrassed by it, they may be worried about fitting in, or they may have a certain image they are trying to uphold. Also, I think a lot of it depends on the child's personality. Some are outgoing and confident by nature. Some are quieter (and less likely to want to share personal things) in general.


What do you think Calliope is doing as this present time?  
She's picking out new school clothes with her mom and step-dad, while silently conjuring up a way to visit Jinsong again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment