Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Invisible Emmie by Terri Libenson

How I Heard About It:  I'm actually not exactly sure where I got my copy of this book.  I'm thinking it was ALA, but the publication date is May 2017 and I was at ALA in June of 2017.  Anyway, it was fun to read (my 6th book for my 21 Day/21 Book Challenge) during the car ride back today from Lawrence, KS where we left my son for his junior year.  

What It Is About:  The story of two very different girls.  Emmie is quiet and wants to be "invisible".  She wants no attention drawn to herself.  She does everything she can to stay hidden during one full school day.  Then we have another girl at the same school.  Her name is Katie.  Katie could not be more different from Emmie.  She is the center of the school.  Everyone wants to be friends with her.  Everyone wants to be like her.  Everyone flocks to her.  Katie takes it all in with grace and ease.  At the day progresses, Emmie finds herself in a delicate situation when something of hers ends up in the wrong hands.  More than ever, she just wants to disappear.  Katie takes notice of the situation and decides to help as much as she can.  The lives of these two girls drawn closer and closer together until they COLLIDE.  

What I Thought Of It:  This was such a fun read and perfect for the car.  Emmie's story was told more in prose with some illustrations/graphics.  On the other hand, Katie's story was told mostly in graphic novel format.  I loved how the two view points were presented differently.  It was a joy to read about both girls and see how different children can experience school; especially middle-school. As I got closer to the end, I saw that events were changing for both girls.  There was a major BIG surprise at the end that I didn't see coming.  This surprise was absolutely brilliant and I'm frustrated with myself for not seeing it as a reader.  Certainly excited to share this one when I get back to school.  

Who Should Read It:  Even though the setting and characters are in middle school, the story would be fine for any reader.  Children will be able to relate to both characters and what they are going through.  Girls may be a bit of a better audience, but there are definitely male characters that the boys will get a kick out of.  I will be curious to see if my fourth graders pick up on the "surprise" unlike their teacher.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment