Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, December 9, 2017

Genuine Fraud by E. Lockhart

How I Heard About It:  This was another novel that I kept seeing everywhere.  People were talking about it on FaceBook, Twitter, and Instagram.  It had been on my list for quite some time when I finally decided to read it.  I actually listened to it via "Cloud Library" during my commute.  I had enjoyed We Were Liars and was excited to see what this story was all about.  

What It Is About:  The story is about Jule.  Or is it?  The story is about Imogen.  Or is it?  These two young women meet and life after this is never the same for either one of them.  Does Jule want to be Imogen?  Does Imogen want to be Jule?  They each want something and are both determined to get it. The plot unravels backward starting with chapter eighteen and moving toward chapter one.  The novel ends with chapter nineteen.  Each girl brings such life, gut, and power to the novel.  Is Jule the fraud?  Is Imogen the fraud?  As the reader, you will race to the end to find out the answers to these questions and many more.  

What I Thought Of It:  When I first started listening, I was confused when it started at chapter 18.  I thought there was something wrong with my audio.  After checking, I realized it was beginning at the start.  Thinking to myself, I said alright let's go for a ride and figure out this format.  Once I got use to the story telling in "backward" motion, I had no problems following the events of the story.  Just because I could follow the story doesn't mean I had everything figured out.  There were plenty of twists and turns and many moments when I was trying to figure out who was who, who was doing what to whom, and what was truly going on with Jule and Imogen.  Quite the story.  A truly fun and engaging read.  

Who Should Read It:   Now that I have finished the novel, I can see why so many readers raved about the book.  It is the perfect mystery and thriller for both high school and adult readers.  There are a lot of surprises along the way which will bring readers hours of enjoyment.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment