Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, December 28, 2017

Turtles All The Way Down by John Green

How I Heard About It:  I think it was last summer during ALA that I saw a promotion for John Green's new book.  I was intrigued by the title and have enjoyed past Green novels.  I added the title to my TBR list.  Last fall, I began the book, but it went by the wayside when I started other books.  During my winter break, I had the opportunity to get back to the story and finish it.  

What It Is About:  Aza is struggling.  She is struggling with her thoughts, her ideas, and the her journey through what she calls "crazy".  Aza tries to keep it together for her mother, her best friend Daisy, and her therapist.  The more she tries to stay "normal", the more her thoughts get away from her.  When a classmate's father disappears, Aza and Daisy decide to "investigate" and possibly earn the reward money.  Aza begins to get to know Davis, who is the son of the billionaire that has disappeared.  Davis lives a very different life than Aza, but the two of them forge a friendship that may or may not lead to more.  The closer Aza gets to answers about Davis' father, the more she begins to feel out of control.  

What I Thought Of It:  When I first started the book this past fall, I wasn't drawn to it as much as I hoped I would be.  Maybe that is why I put it aside.  Starting it again this Christmas break, I found I was interested in the story line right away.  Sometimes it is all about timing.  The plot was fascinating, the characters were unique and original, and the "emotions" of the story ran high.  John Green has such a special way of writing that you feel like you are sitting right beside the characters and sharing the experience with them.  Aza, Davis, and Daisy all had such a profound effect on me while I read.  I could really feel what Aza was dealing with and how she so wanted to be "normal".  This may be one of my new favorite JG books.  

Who Should Read It:   I know that all John Green fans will enjoy and devour his latest work of fiction.  The story would appeal to both the young adult and adult reader.  People that also find stories about mental illness fascinating, would be a great audience for the book.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4+ STARS out of 5 Stars







No comments:

Post a Comment