Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, February 26, 2018

Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore by Matthew J. Sullivan

How I Heard About It:  I remember reading a review of this novel published for adults awhile back.  It was added to my TBR list and forgotten about.  When I ran across the title on the Cloud Library app, I downloaded it and began to listen.  

What It Is About:  Lydia leads a simple life.  She enjoys her work at the bookstore she owns.  She enjoys her life with her partner David.  Lydia also enjoys the patrons that frequent her store and enjoy books as much as she does.  While at work one day, she ventures up into the loft of the store to find one "regular" patron has hung himself.  She also finds that he is holding a picture of her when she was a child.  This sets off a quest to find out why he has the picture and how he is tied to her childhood.  Lydia had tried to put her early years behind her because on one fateful day her friend Carol and her parents were killed by the "Hammer Man".  Lydia's life was spared and she never understood why.  Not only does Lydia want to find answers about the man who killed himself, but also how her present is connected to the past and how all the puzzle pieces fit together.  

What I Thought Of It:  It has been awhile since I've read a novel published for adults that is not only an incredible story, but a strong mystery tied to the plot.  There were so many mornings when I arrived at work that I just sat in my car to listen to the story unfold.  Just when I thought I had something figured out, I was surprised with a different twist and/or turn.  The story was so well written and unfolded at a perfect pace.  The cast of characters were unique, special, and ones that I truly cared about.  I can't see any reader not enjoying this story as much as I did.  

Who Should Read It:   The audience for this novel could either be the high-school, college, or adult reader.  Of course avid readers and book-store lovers will be completely drawn into the story because of the bookstore itself and the mystery that surrounds both the characters and the books!  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment