Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, March 18, 2018

The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah

How I Heard About It:  Was there a book more "talked" about than this one?  Everywhere I turned I saw reviews, articles, and press about the novel.  It definitely went on my TBR list.  When I was looking for a new audio book, I came across this title and bought it through Audible.   

What It Is About:  Leni's father is unpredictable.  This is mostly because he is a former POW of the Vietnam war.  His most unpredictable move yet is when he moves his family from the contiguous United States to the frontier land of Alaska.  Leni and her mother aren't thrilled about this move, but have no choice but to travel with him.  When the family arrives in Alaska, they are not prepared at all for the harsh reality of living off the land.  They slowly make a new home in a small cabin, meet the local residents, and learn what it takes to actually survive in the difficult elements that Alaska provides.  Leni meets Matthew at school and the two of them fall in love.  This causes a problem in her family as her father HATES Matthew's dad.  Leni's father becomes more erratic and abusive toward Leni's mother.  When his actions goes too far, Leni and her mother find themselves in a situation they aren't sure how to get out of.  

What I Thought Of It:  Oh my gosh.  I so enjoyed listening to this story.  Kristin Hannah is a master at story telling.  Everything about her writing was incredible.  She developed strong and unique characters.  She described Alaska so well that I felt like I was there.  Her plot was kept the story moving and provided many "gasp" moments.  These characters wove their way into my heart and I've found myself still thinking about them after finishing the last page.  This novel is definitely now one of the top ten adult novels that I've had the privilege of reading.  

Who Should Read It:   If you have read Nightingale, then I know you will enjoy this work of fiction just as much.  I can't think of any reader who will not find this a satisfying read.  I know that I will be telling everyone I know about it.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment