Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, May 7, 2018

Denis Ever After by Tony Abbott

How I Heard About It:  After reading The Summer of Owen Todd, Tony Abbott was definitely on my reading radar.  When I heard he had written a new story that was going to be released in July of 2018, I was quite excited.  It was a pleasure to receive an ARC and I got to reading right away.  Once I started, I could NOT put the book down.  

What It Is About:   Denis is twelve years old.  Matt is twelve years old.  They are twins.  Five years ago Denis disappeared from an amusement park and was found dead several days later.  Denis is now is a peaceful place where he spends his days with others that have passed from their Earthly life to their new existence.  Denis realizes his brother Matt is holding him back from truly living his new life to the fullest.  You see, Matt refused to let go of his brother until he finds out what actually happened to him five years earlier.  Denis takes a risk and travels back to Earth through the "RAZOR".  This is a painful process, but Denis knows it is necessary.  When the two brothers are reunited, they venture out together to solve the mystery of Denis' death.  Little did they know they would also uncover several other family secrets.  

What I Thought Of It:  As I mentioned earlier, I could not put this book down.  At first I was so curious as to how the story was going to unfold.  Then I started to get a little unsettled due to Denis' situation and wondering what had happened to him.  I kept wondering how young readers would react to the story.  Finally, I was surprised by the climax and conclusion of the story.  There was so much packed into these pages; that I know I will go back to reread in order to take it all in.  The writing was brilliant, the character development was strong, and of course the plot was like no other I've ever read.  

Who Should Read It:  I'm a bit stumped on this one.  I'm not sure which audience this story is best suited for.  There are parts of the story that would be fine for fourth, fifth, and sixth grade readers.  There are other moments, when I think the reader should be in sixth grade or higher.  When I finished the book, I went back to my original thought and would be alright with fourth grade readers and above.  I've already given the book to a colleague because I want to see what she thinks and who she would give the book to.  I would also tell middle-school readers they definitely need to read the novel along with adult readers.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment