Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, May 15, 2018

The Science of Breakable Things by Tae Keller

How I Heard About It:  Many of my Twitter friends shared such positive thoughts about this novel that I put it on my last Amazon order and was thrilled when it arrived in the mail.  I didn't know much about the story, but based on what my reading friends were saying, I was anticipating a great read.  

What It Is About:   Natalie loves science.  She loves her science teacher.  She also loves her scientist mother.  Recently her mother had a set-back at work and has retreated to her bedroom.  Natalie and her father try to make the best of it, but the longer her mother remains distant, the more concerned Natalie becomes.  She makes it her mission to win a science contest in which she will earn some money.  With this money, she hopes to reunite her mother with her science passion and get their life back to normal.  While at school Natalie not only has to deal with the science contest, but navigating rough waters with some of her friends.  When he father takes her to a therapist, Natalie isn't sure why she has to open up about her "feelings" when her own mother doesn't.  

What I Thought Of It:  A journey of emotional awareness for sure.  I thought the story was strong and moved along at a wonderful pace.  The chapters and sections were organized according to the scientific method which I found both interesting and unique.  The character of Natalie was realistic and easy to relate to.  I enjoyed that she showed both a strong independent side, and a side where she desperately needed both her mother and father.  Most stories don't revolve around the topic of science, and I liked how this story did.  I now want to have an egg-drop contest in my own class.  

Who Should Read It:  I'm thinking this novel would be best suited for readers at the end of fourth grade, fifth grade, and sixth grade.  I can see it in the hands of female readers a bit more than male, but that isn't to say boys wouldn't enjoy the story.  If you have a student that has dealt with a family member and depression, this would be the perfect novel to put in their hands.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment