Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, January 5, 2019

Sweeping Up The Heart by Kevin Henkes

How I Heard About It:   I picked up an ARC of this upcoming novel due out in March of 2019.  I always includes Henkes picture books in my classroom and it has been exciting to include his novels as well.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  

1.  *Spring break has arrived and Amelia has her heart set on going to Florida with her father.  He on the other hand, has other plans.  Staying home.

2.  *Since Amelia will be staying put, she has to fill her time some way.  She has a passion for art; especially creating clay figures.  She visits the local art studio where she meets a new boy named Casey.  

3.  *She isn't sure about forming a friendship with a boy, but decides to give it a shot.  They both have an interest in art and share their creativity with each other.  

4.  *Amelia is surprised when Casey states that he has seen the "spirit" of her mother who passed away ten years earlier.  

5.  *Amelia begins a journey in which she tries to put the pieces together of this women who has appeared in her life and what that means for herself, her father, and her life.  


What I Thought Of It:  I was immediately drawn into the story and Amelia's spring break week.  I could just imagine the exchange between Amelia and her father about spring break plans.  All children would want to spend a week in Florida as opposed to staying home.  The scenes where she spent time at the art studio were some of my favorite.  I loved the interactions she had with Casey and his aunt.  While the plot may have centered around Amelia, her father, and a mystery woman; I also think Casey's story about his parents was just as important.  I'm a "puddle" for a genuine friendship between a girl and a boy and Henkes outdid himself.  The writing was beautiful.  The characters were  authentic and well-developed.  The plot pulled a punch in a short amount of pages.  


Who Should Read It:   As I was reading, I kept thinking what a wonderful class read aloud this book would make.  I have added it to my list of possible read alouds for this year.  Individual readers in grades three, four, five, and/or six would be appropriate for the novel.  I also think it makes for a satisfying read for adult readers.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment