Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, May 25, 2019

Spark by Sarah Beth Durst

How I Heard About It:  This novel came to me via the publisher.  It wasn't at the top of my stack, but when some online reading friends, praised the story; I decided to move it to the top of my pile.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  

1.  *Mina is a young girl that is quiet and shy.

2.  *Children in the community "bond" with a creature.  Mina is surprised when her creature is born.  



3.  *Mina ends up with a creature called the "Lightning Beast".  The creature's name is Pixit.

4.  *Most of the community members think this pairing is a mistake, but Mina knows in her heart she and Pixit are meant to be together.  

5.  *Mina and Pixit enroll in "Lightning School" where she is suppose to master the art of taking care of a beast.  It is here at school that she learns to use her voice and actions to help her community survive the evils that are trying to take over.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *I was hoping to enjoy the story.  Especially since it was so highly recommended.

2.  *Part of the reason I may not have been captured by the story is I'm not normally a fan of fantasy and mythical story lines.  I'm more of a realistic fiction reader.

3.  *There came a point when I became lost in the story line and was a bit confused by what was happening.

4.  *I did enjoy the character of Mina and the journey she took.  This journey transferred her into quite a strong and independent young woman.  

5.  *Even though I wasn't intrigued by the story; as I read I kept thinking how much young readers would enjoy the adventure that Mina and Pixit took.  


Who Should Read It:   The audience for this fantasy would most likely be readers in grades four, five, and/or six.  Of course if you know of readers that enjoy fantasy, animals, and adventure; then is definitely the novel for them.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   3 STARS out of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment