Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, July 14, 2019

Ask Again, Yes! by Mary Beth Keane

How I Heard About It:  I can't believe this is the first novel published for adults that I've read and finished this summer.  I guess I've been reading more middle-grade and young-adult.  I saw this book written up in several places at the beginning of the summer so I ordered it via Amazon.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *The story begins with Francis and Brain who are both NYPD cops and also become neighbors.

2.  *Each man marries and begins a family.  Even though they live side by side, the two families don't interact too much for various reasons.  



3.  *The men's children, Peter and Kate, begin a friendship when they are very young which continues until their early teens.  

4.  *During one horrible night, a tragic event takes place that divides the two families for years to come.  

5.  *As Kate and Peter each move on from the "event" on their neighborhood street, their hearts and minds continue to be pulled back to their earlier years together.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *When I first began at the beginning of summer, I was drawn into the story and was excited about the plot.  Then it seemed life, and other books, got in the way and I didn't have as much time as I wanted to really dig in.  

2.  *I enjoyed the background information about both Francis and Brain's beginnings and how their families were created and evolved.  

3.  *The "event" between the two families came as a shock to me and really pulled me into the pages.  

4.  *I enjoyed the development of both Kate and Peter and what life brought each of them for the many years to come after they "parted".  

5.  *The author did a phenomenal job of creating a rich and moving story of these two families that spanned over many years.  A complete joy to read!  


Who Should Read It:    I recommend this adult novel to any reader that enjoys great fiction, character driven stories, and strong writing from the first page to the very last.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars!





No comments:

Post a Comment