Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, July 22, 2019

An Inside Look #95 (Author INTERVIEW)


Inside Look with Alicia D. Williams
(Author of Genesis Begins Again)

*During the summer of 2016, I added this feature to the blog which was called "Season #ONE".  This first season ran from June of 2016 to March of 2017.  

*I started up the interviews again in June of 2017.  It was great to get back to Season #TWO.  This season ran throughout the summer.  

*Season #THREE ran during the school year of 2017-2018.  


*The next season (season #FOUR) of interviews took place during the summer and fall of 2018.  With each interview I became more and more impressed with the authors I was having interactions with.  

*Season #FIVE ran during the 2018/2019 school year.  I took a little break during June of 2019.

*I'm thrilled to be back with season #SIX featuring all new books, authors, and conversations.  


*It has been such an honor to connect with authors and "chat" about their novel, characters, and thoughts about the story.

*This is the FOURTH interview of what I'm calling Season #SIX.

*Thank you to Alicia D. Williams for being the Ninety-Fifth author that I've had the pleasure of interviewing.  I truly appreciate it.  


*Here are links to the first Ninety-Four interviews…


SEASON #ONE (2016-2017)

























SEASON #FOUR (Summer 2018)






















SEASON #FIVE (2018/2019)










Interview #81 with Tony Abbott (Author of The Great Jeff)

Interview #82 with Susan Ross (Author of Searching for Lottie)

Interview #83 with Gillian McDunn (Author of Caterpillar Summer)

Interview #84 with Rebecca Ansari (Author of The Missing Piece of Charlie O'Reilly)

Interview #85 with Ali Standish (Author of August Isle)

Interview #86 with Shaun David Hutchinson (Author of The Past and Other Things That Should Stay Buried)

Interview #87 with Greg Howard (Author of The Whispers)

Interview #88 with Lynda Mullaly Hunt (Author of Shouting at the Rain)

Interview #89 with Lynda Mullaly Hunt (Author of One for the Murphys)

Interview #90 with Laurie Morrison (Author of Up for Air)

Interview #91 with Jody J. Little (Author of Mostly the Honest Truth)



SEASON #SIX (Summer 2019)

Interview #92 with John David Anderson (Author of Finding Orion)

Interview #93 with Lisa Thompson (Author of The Light Jar)

Interview #94 with Keith Calabrese (Author of A Drop of Hope)



*Alicia D. Williams was kind, gracious, and giving with her answers to the questions.  It is an honor to post her responses here on the blog. 

*Thank you Alicia for writing this incredible and thought-provoking book.

*Here is my book review...

Genesis Begins Again Book REVIEW




Genesis Begins Again

by Alicia D. Williams (January 15, 2019)


How did you come to know Genesis?  
This relationship wasn't overnight. Like any relationship, it took years to cultivate. I began this story in 2011, but I didn't truly understand what the heart of the story was. The more questions posed by teachers and writing buddies, the more I dug deeper, and the more I came to hear Genesis' voice clearly. Originally the story was about a girl who was bullied because she was heavy. Her dark skin and coily hair was an afterthought. During my revision years (2013-2015), the story would wake me up at night with different scenarios, emotions, conversations, and character thoughts. Even after I landed an editor, I was still coming to know Genesis. I felt like the discovery of my character and the authenticity of her voice grew stronger with each draft.


What do you think is Genesis’ most admirable quality?
What I admire about Genesis is that although she is very flawed and makes mistakes, she is brave. She takes chances to change her world for the better. Even if the choices to do so are very wrong, she doesn't sit by allowing life to just happen to her. And, she learns from her mistakes, knows when to admit she's wrong (although her timing could better), and has the willingness to forgive.


Is there anything you wish Genesis would have changed or done differently in her story?
No, I don’t. She needed to make mistakes in order to learn and grow. Sometimes the idea of changing is hard because writers have a tendency to rescue their characters. For instance, Genesis should have realized that Sophia and Troy are genuine friends earlier in the story, but in life we don’t recognize true friendship until after a hard lesson. She had to commit to wanting to be with the popular kids and see how that plays out.


What do you think Genesis can offer to other children that are experiencing similar situations to what she went through?  
I hope Genesis offers courage and hope. Life won’t always work out perfectly or be fair, just as with Genesis. Her life is a disaster. Yet, she is courageous to face her issues. She is brave when she finds her voice, even if that means putting her fear aside and singing alone in the talent show.  
Also, this idea of beauty is so ingrained in us at a very early age. What is beauty? Who gets to decide it? Why do we feel like we’re not good enough? Who’s giving us these messages? And for Genesis, she figures her dark skin and hair texture are the two beauty flaws that makes her unloveable. Yet, readers should be left feeling hopeful that she’ll have the courage to start defining beauty for herself.


How did you research Genesis and the circumstances she found herself in?
Much of the story is based on what I observed in my family and community while growing up. Other influences have been social media, blogs and articles, and documentaries that offer more insight to colorism. For instance, the bleach bath scene (spoiler) is taken from a documentary. So, although I witnessed colorism myself, I still wanted to make sure the story covered points outside of my experience.

And lastly, my classroom time informed my writing of Genesis. I’ve even been inspired by after school conversations with peers. While working on Genesis, I was a Teaching Assistant in kindergarten. During circle time, I took note of how children viewed themselves and their world. Also, at the beginning of every year, we’d notice the children of color, regardless of ethnicity, would never choose a brown or dark skin tone crayon from the multicultural crayon selection. Or, they would lightly, barely shade in their faces. I explored the why in my story. I also listened to their curious comments to the stories being read aloud and wondered again. When observing or interacting with students, I’m constantly wondering what life is like for them--at school, home, or even out and about. 


Do you and Genesis share any similarities?  
Genesis and I both experience colorism. Notice that I did not use past tense because discrimination against skin complexion within one's own community is an existing issue. I've been told that I was too dark or would be cuter if I were light skin, just as Genesis. Oh, and we both love music, but she can sing and I can't. 


What was the hardest scene to write about Genesis?
The hardest scene to write was with Genesis doing self-harm. I don't want to reveal another spoiler, but it hurt my heart imagining what lengths she, or any person, would go to just to make themselves lovable.


Who do you think was Genesis' biggest supporter and why?
Mrs. Hill for sure. Mrs. Hill saw her. And that’s what all of us, especially our children want is to be seen. How awesome it would be for a teacher to say through their actions, “I see you. You exist. And you’re good enough.” Her mom is a supporter too, but life is blurring her eyes. She’s under a lot of pressure just to keep her family afloat, right? That’s how parents sometimes are--busy paying bills, working, making ends meet. And unfortunately, there are moments when Genesis feels invisible and alone at home.


Why do you think some young people want to change themselves so much to “fit in”, while others are completely comfortable in their own “skin”?  
Words! How much affirmation is given to them right from the start? You’re amazing! You’re so fierce and beautiful! Forget those magazines, you are you--and you’re fabulous!--versus--nothing. Or worse, You messed that up again, gosh you’re so clumsy! You’ve got to lose some of that weight! See the difference? And the result is in the believing: If my teeth were just straight, then I’ll fit in. If I could play ball like them, then everyone would want to be my friend. With a cheerleader in your life, self-confidence and esteem can be boosted to a level where you’re not constantly comparing yourself to others. If Genesis’s dad used affirming words to confirm her value and worth, she wouldn’t hate herself. She’s changing to make herself worthy of his love.


What do you think Genesis is doing as the present time?  
Ha! She’s begging to be off of punishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment