Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, December 21, 2019

Brave Like That by Lindsey Stoddard

How I Heard About It:
*I so enjoyed Right as Rain and Just Like Jackie.  When I learned that Lindsey Stoddard was going to release a third middle-grade novel, I was thrilled.  I was even more thrilled when she sent #bookexpedition an Arc that we could all read, review, and enjoy!  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *Cyrus was left in front of the local fire house when he was a baby.  One of the fire fighters took him in as his own and raised him.

2.  *Twelve years later, a stray dog ends up at the fire house and Cyrus feels an instant connection with the little pup.

3.  *Cyrus and his father take the dog to the veterinarian so he can receive the care he needs.

4.  *Cyrus can't think of anything else but the puppy.  Football try outs are just getting in the way.  His father was a star back in the day and everything thinks Cyrus should follow in his footsteps.

5.  *As focus on the football try outs revs up, Cyrus does everything he can to make his father proud of him while also finding a way to bring the new dog into his life.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *As soon as I began, I knew this was going to be one heck of a special story.  When I finished the last page, I knew I had been right.

2.  *One aspect that was such fun for me was the setting of the story.  Lindsey Stoddard put her characters in the small town of Northfield, MN which is about 30 minutes south from where I live.  While reading, it was interesting to read about all the "local" attractions.

3.  *Cyrus' story was touching, emotional, and heart-warming.  I could relate to his plight of not being in love with sports when his heart was on something else altogether.  Stoddard did a beautiful job writing about the conflict her character was dealing with.

4.  *The character development was top-notch and one factor that brought me into the story, pulled on my heart-strings, and created a strong sense of connection.  I find myself still thinking about the people in Cyrus' life.

5.  *I'm always looking for stories that stress the importance of being yourself, being brave, and taking risks in the world.  This novel does all of those things and more.


Who Should Read It:
*The novel is perfect for readers in grades four, five, and six.  The story would also be awesome for middle-school readers.  If you know of a young reader who has read Lindsey Stoddard's first two novels, then this is a must-read for them.  Any adult reader who enjoys a strong, current, and emotional middle-grade story, must put this on their TBR list.  Happy Reading!


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment