Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, December 23, 2019

How to Disappear Completely by Ali Standish

How I Heard About It:
*There are some stories you read and enjoy.  There are some novels you experience and don't seem to forget.  That is the case with all the Ali Standish books I've had the honor of reading, enjoying, and spreading the book love.  Her novels The Ethan I Was Before and August Isle are two of my favorite middle-grade stories.  When I got an ARC of her upcoming third novel, How to Disappear Completely, I was over the moon with excitement.  Her newest work of fiction will be out in April 2020.  





What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *Emma must deal with the loss of her beloved grandmother.  The two of them shared an extraordinary relationship.  Emma isn't sure how she can move forward.

2.  *Just as she is trying to figure out life without her grandmother, she begins to notice spots on her skin.  At first she doesn't give them must attention, but as they grow and multiply, she realizes something is truly wrong.

3.  *Seventh grade is difficult enough, but when you have to arrive at school with "marks' on your skin; your existence can almost be unbearable.

4.  *Emma finds refuge in a "magical" land where she and her grandmother spent hours and hours.  She continues the love of writing that her grandma instilled in her.  Emma is surprised when she finds another writer adding to the story she is creating.

5.  *With the help of the "one" friend she has, Emma sets out to "puzzle" the pieces of her grandmother's early life and the secrets and people she left behind.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *This was the first book I read during my 2019 Christmas vacation and I couldn't think of a better one to begin with.  Ali Standish sure knows how to write a story.

2.  *I was drawn into Emma and her grandmother's world on page one.  I could feel the depth of their relationship and the special bond they held.

3.  *I've never read another middle-grade novel, and/or any book, that dealt with the topic within the pages of this book.  The plot was fresh, unique, and thought-provoking.

4.  *As a reader, I loved reading about the stories that Emma and her grandmother created and how these stories related to their own existence.

5.  *Ali's writing is solid.  She takes hold of the reader's heart and doesn't let go until the very last word.  Actually, the feelings, emotions, and connections go well beyond the last page.  I know I will be thinking of this story for quite some time; just as I did with the author's first two books.


Who Should Read It:
*EVERYONE!  This will make for an excellent and necessary story in all fourth, fifth, and sixth grade classrooms.  Whether you use it as a class read aloud and/or put in the hands of an individual reader, you can't go wrong.  If you have read either of her first two books, you MUST add this to your TBR list.  Happy Reading!


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment