Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, December 8, 2019

This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger

How I Heard About It:
*This local (Minnesota) author has become one of my favorite for novels published for adults.  I was excited when I saw that he had a new novel out in the world.  I chose it for my BBC (Boy's Book Club).  The reading was a complete pleasure.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *William Kent Krueger takes the reader back to 1932 in Minnesota at the Lincoln School.

2.  *The Lincoln School is not a school where children should end up, but unfortunately many children, including Native America kids, find themselves living and enduring the hardships.

3.  *Odie and his brother Albert have lived at the school for many years, but after a series of events have been forced to flee.  They take with them a friend named Mose and a young girl named Emmy.

4.  *The four of them escape during the dark of the night and make their way across the "tender" land of Minnesota with a goal of making it to St. Louis.

5.  *They not only need to look forward as it what obstacles they may find, but also need to stay one step ahead of a couple of evil school leaders; who have made it their mission to get the four of them back.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *After a year of reading middle-grade picture books and novels for my Charlotte Huck Book Awards Committee, I was excited to open the pages of a novel published for adults.

2.  *As soon as I began, I knew I was in for one heck of a read.  And I was right!

3.  *I so enjoyed the journey these four young people took.  The writing was so spot-on that I felt like I was right by their side.

4.  *The surprises, twists and turns, and suspense; kept me on the edge of my seat and turning page after page.  I so enjoyed the time when I could really devote quite a bit of time and really appreciate the story.

5.  *The characters, plot, and setting were all authentic and compelling.  One of the best novels I read during the past year.


Who Should Read It:
*This work of fiction should be experience by all adult readers.  I can't imagine any reader not enjoying this wonderful tale of friendship, exploration, and salvation.  Happy Reading!


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars







No comments:

Post a Comment