Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, February 1, 2020

Clean Getaway by Nic Stone

How I Heard About It:
*This book came to me via Penguin Random House Publishers.  I'm always thrilled to receive a novel from them as they seem to know how to choose really great middle-grade stories.  I've had the copy in my possession for quite some time, but finally grabbed it from my stack and began reading.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *Scoob is a young boy that has questions about both his father who he lives with and the mother he doesn't.  

2.  *G'ma is Scoob's grandmother with a story and a past of her own.  

3.  *They each have their reasons for climbing aboard the RV and heading on a "historic" road trip.  

4.  *Not only will Scoob learn about his grandmother's history, but also the history of the segregated south.  

5.  *In between these two family members, is a father who wants the best for both his son and his mother.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *There are times when I get so mad at myself for letting a book sit too long in my TBR pile.  that is what happened with this particular story.

2.  *This road trip between a grandson and his beloved grandmother was one of a kind and kept my interest the entire "ride".

3.  *As the two of them traveled together, each of them began to slowly "share" their own stories, confide in each other, and come to know each other better and better.  Such a beautiful pace!

4.  *G'ma has spunk, energy, and a wicked sense about her.  I loved this.  I believe young readers will enjoy her younger than life personality.

5.  *Not only were there fun and humorous moments, but several touching and emotional scenes that warmed my heart.


Who Should Read It:
*I love when I read a middle-grade book that is appropriate for all readers in grades three through six.  I could see this novel being used as a class read aloud and/or put in the hands of individual readers.  If you have read other works by Stone, then you MUST read her newest work of fiction.  Happy Reading!


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment