Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, February 16, 2020

Long Bright River by Liz Moore

How I Heard About It:
*A colleague and AVID reader brought me her advanced copy of this novel published for adults.  I had seen many rave reviews about the story so I was excited to read.  I've been trying to read more adult books and this was fantastical.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *Mickey, the older sister, is a police officer in the city of Philadelphia.  She tries to balance the job on the streets and her role as a mother at home.

2.  *Kacey, the young sister, is also on the streets of Philadelphia, but as a drug addict and doing whatever she has to in order to keep that addiction going.  

3.  *As young girls, the two sisters were quite close.  After losing both their parents, they were left in the care of their grandmother.  

4.  *When the girls grew up, they each took a different path and became "estranged".  

5.  *Mickey is concerned when women begin to show up dead on the streets she patrols, and begins an intense and dangerous search for her sister before it is too late.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *The novel is long at almost 500 pages, but is actually a quick read.  The text isn't heavy on each page, the chapters are short, and the plot never stops moving.

2.  *I was fascinated by the relationship between these two sisters.  As a reader, I appreciated how the author went back and forth in time giving me a glimpse into their history together along with their current day situations.

3.  *Not only was this a mystery, but also a character study into two women that were raised together, but ended up in two completely different situations.

4.  *As I read, I found myself not so worried about "who did it", but learning more about the two sisters, their backgrounds, and if and when they would be reunited.

5.  *Well written, well developed, and well-paced.  This story had it all.  I highly recommend it!


Who Should Read It:
*I think any adult reader would find GREAT satisfaction and enjoyment with this 2020 novel.  Readers definitely need to put it on their TBR list.  Happy Reading!


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment