Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, February 16, 2020

Here in the Real World by Sara Pennypacker

How I Heard About It:
*When I saw this title at the local bookstore earlier this month, it reminded me I had a copy of the book I received at #NCTE19 in Baltimore.  I came home from the bookstore, found the ARC in my pile, and began reading.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *Ware believes in "Magic Fairness Land".  

2.  *Jolene believes in the "real world".

3.  *After Ware's grandmother falls on his "watch", his parents inform him he will now have to spend his summer at the "Rec".  This does not sit well with Ware.

4.  *On his arrival on the first day, Ware bypasses the summer Rec center, and heads over to the empty lot next door.  It is here that he encounters Jolene.

5.  *Each of them have their reasons for spending the next several weeks in the abandoned lot while trying to make sense of the "magic land" and the "real world".


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *This middle-grade novel was beautifully written and told.  I so enjoyed the last few days of reading about the world in which Ware and his new friend Jolene exist.

2.  *Ware and Jolene were from two completely different worlds and believed in opposite "views", but were able to find each other somewhere in the middle.

3.  *The view in which Ware had on his world was authentic, sensitive, and handled with grace.  He is a character that I don't soon forget.

4.  *Jolene added a complex dimension to the overall plot and I enjoyed getting to know her, her backstory, and how she was able to have an impact on Ware.

5.  *The pages were filled with lots of life-lessons and important messages that young readers will be able to apply to their own lives.


Who Should Read It:
*After reading, I would say the story is best suited for readers in grades four, five, and six.  The book would also be perfect for the middle-school reader.  If you know of a mature young reader, who is sensitive and keenly aware of their own world, this is definitely the novel for them.  Happy Reading!


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment