Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, March 27, 2020

Get a Grip, Vivy Cohen! by Sarah Kapit

How I Heard About It:
*I was excited when this middle-grade novel came my way because I had several friends who had given it pretty high marks.  Thank you to Dial Books for sending me a copy of the new book. 


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

1.  *Meet Vivy.  She is eleven years old.  She is autistic.  She is also a baseball player.   

2.  *Well, at least she wants to be.  And it won't be easy.  

3.  *After receiving a writing assignment at school, Vivy begins writing to a major league baseball player named V.J. Capello.  To her surprise, he begins to write back.

4.  *As Vivy nagivates the world of an all boys baseball team, she shares her feelings, experiences, and thoughts with V.J.  He in return begins to share his life with her.  

5.  *Vivy finds it isn't easy to be the only girl, let alone autistic girl, on a baseball team; both on and off the baseball diamond.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *Overall, I enjoyed the story of Vivy, V.J., and their correspondence with each other.  

2.  *I'm not a huge baseball fan, and some of the "details" of the game slowed me down in the reading, but I tried not to let that get in my way.

3.  *The strong element of the story was the relationship that developed between Vivy and V.J.  I so enjoyed the letters/emails between them.

4.  *Of course no middle-grade story would be complete without the "bully" and this novel didn't disappoint in this department.  

5.  *Don't worry, there is also a wonderful peer friend to Vivy who warmed my heart on more than one occasion. 


Who Should Read It:

*I believe all young readers will enjoy this story.  If you know of a kid who loves baseball, this may be the perfect story for them.  Readers in grades four, five, and six would be ideal for the book.  I'm happy I read it and I think you will be too.  Happy Reading! 


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment