Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Junk Boy by Tony Abbott

How I Heard About It:
*I'm a huge fan of Tony Abbott books.  I've loved them all.  When I saw that he had written a new story, due out in the fall of 2020, I was thrilled, excited, and full of anticipation.  Tony was gracious to send me an ARC to read and share with #bookexpedition.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *Bobby Lang is a high school boy living with his father.  Well, if you can call it that.  

2.  *The kids at school call Bobby "Junk" because of where he lives.  


3.  *Bobby and his father coexist in a world that is both physically and emotionally a mess.  

4.  *His life changes when he meets another high-school students named Rachel.  

5.  *They each have their own "junk" to deal with, but together they begin to navigate a new world with a possible sense of new hope.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *When I began the book, I was surprised that the words were written in free verse.  I don't think Tony has ever done this before in previous novels.

2.  *While it took me a few pages to get use to this format; once I did I completely enjoyed this format for this story with this character.

3.  *The writing was so real and spot-on that I could actually feel myself trying to exist in Bobby's home and yard.  This wasn't always a pleasant feeling, but it shouldn't be when living in a junk yard.

4.  *Bobby and Rachel came together when they both needed a friend and as a reader I was drawn into their new friendship and wanted the best for the two of them.

5.  *The reading experience went quite quickly because of the free verse which was both a positive and a negative.  A positive because I read the entire book quickly, but a negative because I didn't want the story to be done.


Who Should Read It:
*Tony's new novel will be perfect for readers in both middle-school and high-school.  This age reader will be able to appreciate and relate to Bobby and Rachel's experience.  I also think that adult readers will also enjoy the novel and find it quite a satisfactory experience.  Happy Reading!


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment