Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, May 17, 2020

Wink by Rob Harrell

How I Heard About It:
*This novel came to me via the publisher.  I was thrilled to receive a copy because I had heard so many wonderful comments about the story.  I loved the copy.  After finishing, I decided WINK would be our last class read aloud of the 2019/2020 school year.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1. *Ross is a seventh grader who just wants to slide under the radar and get through middle-school without any attention.  

2.  *This goal becomes difficult when he is diagnosed with eye cancer.  

3.  *Ross begins to navigate this new "normal" with his best friend Abby right by his side.

4.  *Both Ross and Abby are trying to figure out why their other best friend Isaac has "ghosted" them while adjusting to new attention from other classmates.  

5.  *Ross learns a lot about himself through this new journey with the support of his family, his friends, both new and old, and even the medical staff where he receives his treatments.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *This story did not disappoint.  I loved it from the moment I began to the moment I closed the book.

2.  *One would think a story about a young boy with eye cancer would be heavy and serious.  Rob Harrell did a fantastic job of creating a story about a boy with cancer with a light-hearted, sometimes funny story line, with a whole lot of tender moments.

3.  *I appreciated the special friendship between Ross and Abby.  They are two of a kind! 

4.  *The other relationship that stood out was between Ross and his nurse technician Frank.  Having had cancer myself, I know the medical professionals are at the center of our care. 

5.  *I've started to record myself reading the story to my fourth graders while we distance learn.  The initial response has been positive and they can't wait for more. 


Who Should Read It:
*This new middle-grade novel needs to be in every fourth, fifth, and sixth grade classroom.  I can say from personal experience the plot makes for an excellent and strong read aloud.  I know middle-school readers will also appreciate the journey that Ross takes.  Happy Reading! 


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars









No comments:

Post a Comment