Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, May 3, 2020

Center of Gravity by Shaunta Grimes

How I Heard About It:
*This middle-grade novel came to me via our Twitter Group #bookexpedition.  I'm fortunate to be a member of this awesome group of readers/educators.  Sharing books brings me such joy. 


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *Tessa hasn't had an easy time of it.  She has had to deal with the loss of her mother.  

2.   *To not feel so alone, she begins to cut the pictures of missing children off the milk carton and saves them where no one can find them.

3.  *As she is keeping this secret from her father, he is keeping a secret of his own.  Tessa is shocked to learn he is going to remarry, is going to become a father again, and they are moving.

4.  *All of these changes rock Tessa's world and she is drawn to these missing children more than ever.

5.  *Upon arriving in her new home, Tessa must face many new changes; including a new step-mother and a new group of friends that need her in more ways than she could have imagined. 
 

What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *This was an enjoyable, powerful, and heart-warming story.

2.  *As I read, I kept thinking how much the middle-grade reader would enjoy the story of Tessa, her new family, and her interactions with friends.

3.  *At first I was mad at the dad for what seemed like moving on too fast and not taking his daughter into account.  The further I got into the story the more I came to understand his motives and situation in life.

4.  *The strongest aspect of the story were the friendships Tessa formed with the group of friends near her new home.  I was so touched on several occasions with their interactions, support, and care of each other.

5.  *The transformation that Tessa undertook, was both realistic and "fictionally" satisfying. 


Who Should Read It:
*I would think this middle-grade novel would be best in grades five and six.  Mature fourth grade readers would be able to handle it with no issues.  Of course the middle-school reader would also enjoy the story of Tessa and her journey.  Happy Reading! 


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment