Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, June 3, 2020

The Book of Fatal Errors by Dashka Slater

How I Heard About It:
This upcoming middle-grade novel (July 2020) came to me via my Twitter #bookexpedition reading group.  I knew nothing of the story, but was looking forward to reading about the "errors" and why they were "fatal".


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *Rufus hasn't had an easy time of it.

2.  *He doesn't seem to fit in and is always making mistakes or "errors" as he calls them.



3.  *Rufus is relieved when summer arrives and he can escape to his grandfather's land.  There is something special about this place, but Rufus isn't exactly sure why.

4.  *Along with his cousin, Abigail, they begin an adventure like no other.

5.  *They meet the "feylings" and decide to give them a bit of help to find their way home.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *When I first began the story, I had HIGH hopes for what was to come.

2.  *The more I got into the plot, I began to lose a bit of interest.

3.  *I don't mind magical realism, but for some reason the storyline didn't hold my attention.

4.  *As a reader, I did enjoy getting to know Rufus through his relationships with both his family and the new "characters" that were introduced during the journey.

5.  *The story got long and I had a bit of trouble staying engaged.  I wondered if young readers would too?


Who Should Read It:
This is definitely a story for young readers who enjoy magical realism.  Fantasy readers will also enjoy the "feylings" and all that comes with them.  The book is a bit long at over 300 pages so the reader will need to have some stamina.  I think fifth grade and above readers would be perfect. Happy Reading!


Rating:   3 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment