Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, June 13, 2020

The Colossus of Roads by Christina Uss

How I Heard About It:
*This new middle-grade novel came to me via a member of #bookexpedition.  I love being a part of this reading group because we share such great titles for our middle-school readers.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *Rick isn't your typical fifth grader.  He has a lot on his mind and on his stomach.

2.  *Unfortunately, his stomach seems to be dictating his life as far as what he does and doesn't do.

3.  *One part of life that Rick would like to avoid at all costs is riding in the car.

4.  *Being that he doesn't enjoy being in a car, it is surprising how much he enjoys studying roads, traffic, and street signs.

5.  *When his parents business, and most of LA, have to deal with the heavy and frustrating aspects of traffic, Rick decides he is going to come up with a solution; no matter what his stomach tells him.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *I so enjoyed Christina Uss' first novel so I was excited to get my hands on her latest work of fiction.

2.  *As a reader, I enjoyed reading about and getting to know the main character Rick.  As I mentioned, he isn't your typical fifth grader, but one little boy that will certainly work his way into your heart.

3.  *The story-line was fresh, unique, and quite different from anything else I've read before.

4.  *I can tell you that I will look at traffic and street signs in a whole new way.

5.  *The cast of characters were awesome and help Rick find his way to a new "normal".


Who Should Read It:
*Christina Uss writes stories that are perfect for the third, fourth, fifth, and sixth grader.  I would also recommend the novel for middle-school readers.  The plot, characters, and "feelings" of the story will appeal to all readers.  Happy Reading!

Rating:   3 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment