Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, June 28, 2020

The Secret Life of Sam by Kim Ventrella

How I Heard About It:
*One day last week I had the best mail surprise.  This middle-grade ARC was sent to me by the author/publisher.  I know when a book arrives and I had no idea it was coming my way.  I've enjoyed other works of fiction by Ventrella and was intrigued by the title and cover of her upcoming novel.  I actually spent yesterday, Saturday, reading the entire story.  I could NOT put it down.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *Sam has lost his Pa, and is now moving from Louisiana to Oklahoma with his Aunt Jo.


2.  *Sam and his aunt have not seen each other for years because of an incident involving his aunt.

3.  *He is not thrilled to be living in a new house, a new town, and with someone he barely remembers.  Sam is determined to keep his heart closed, and find a way back to his true home.

4.  *With a half-faced cat, a mysterious young boy, an enormous crocodile, and a tree that appears to be a portal to another world; Sam is torn between his old life with Pa and the new one he is being forced to create with Aunt Jo.

5.  *The themes of loss, friendship, family, and grief are presented through the eyes of Sam, his Aunt Jo, and a new friend with purple hair.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *From the moment I opened to the book to the final minute on the last page, I was captivated by the story of Sam and his family.

2.  *I could feel Sam's heartbreak and found myself wanting to jump into the pages to rescue him.

3.  *Ventrella did a fantastic job of weaving together a realistic and magical realism story that had me convinced 100% of what was happening within the pages of the book.

4.  *Sam was not the only character I fell in love with.  Aunt Jo was complex, dynamic, loving, and someone that every young child needs in their life.

5.  *The friendship with Edie was an integral aspect of the story and she portrayed the strength and bounds young people will go to in order to survive and be successful; even when knee-deep in a different situation.


Who Should Read It:
*I already know this is going to either be a class read aloud or "Breakfast with Books" book club selection with my fourth grade class during the 2020-21 school year.  The story line, content, and themes would be perfect for all readers in grades four, five, and six.  Of course, the middle-school reader will love the story of Sam and his journey.  Adult readers that navigate toward middle-grade books, must put this on their TBR list.  Happy Reading!


Rating:   5+ STARS out of 5 Stars





1 comment: