Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, November 15, 2020

King and the Dragonflies by Kacen Callender

How I Heard About It:
*This has been a title I've been hearing a lot about from people I trust as far as book recommendations go.  When I was in the market for a new audio book, I decided to go with this middle-grade title.

What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*King has lost his older brother Khalid, but believes he has come back as a dragonfly.

*King has also lost his best friend Sandy because of something Khalid told him before he died.


*Now that Khalid is gone and King is feeling lost, he finds his way back to Sandy in which he tries to repair their friendship.

*Sandy shares more secrets with King, who must decide what to do with the information he is given.

*King is not only afraid of what is dead brother will think, but also what his parents and friends at school will think if he is not only true to the friendship, but also to himself.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*The narrator of the story was incredible and made it so easy to listen to.

*The plot moved at a perfect pace and kept my interest the entire time.

*King was a thoughtful, sensitive, and authentic character.  I could feel his "journey".  

*In my opinion, I thought the author did a tremendous job of describing the family dynamics when a child shares some important and personal news.

*There would be many discussion points which would stem from the story line.  


Who Should Read It:
*Because of the nature and content within the story, I would recommend the book for readers in grades five and above.  The story would be perfect for readers in the middle-school setting.  I also think adult readers would find great satisfaction with the novel.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   4STARS out of 5 Stars







No comments:

Post a Comment