Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, November 8, 2020

Skunk and Badger by Amy Timberlake

How I Heard About It:
*I've had the book in my possession for quite some time.  When a fellow reader recommended the story to me, I went and found my copy and began reading.

What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Badger lives alone and likes it that way.  

*Skunk is sent to live with Badger through a mutual friend.  

*Badger had his way of living, but Skunk sets out to show him there is more than one way to life. 


*The two animals begin an unusual and interesting friendship with both its ups and down.

*Each animal teaches their new "housemate" a thing or two about acceptance, being who you are, and compromise.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*Each character brought life, zest, and fun to the story.

*Skunk and Badger could not have been more different which reminded me of Felix and Oscar from "The Odd Couple".

*I did get a kick out of Skunk and all the "chaos" he brought into Badger's orderly home.

*There was a whole lot of action in the story, but a steady and slow description of the two animals trying to make the best of it.

*I do think young readers who enjoy animal stories will definitely enjoy the novel.  


Who Should Read It:
*The story is not too long, the text is sparse in places, and there are several illustrations scattered throughout the pages.  For these reasons, I could see the book being used in grades two and above.  The reader who doesn't mind a slower paced story, would be awesome for this particular story.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  3 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment