Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, September 9, 2023

The Lost Library by Rebecca Stead and Wendy Mass

How I Heard About It:
*When I heard Rebecca Stead and Wendy Mass had some together again to write a new story, I was so excited because I had enjoyed their collaboration on Bob several years ago.  My students still pick Bob off the shelf to read and always enjoy.  I preordered their new novel and began reading the day it arrived.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Mortimer is a large orange cat who appoints himself guard of a new free little library.

*Al is a librarian and a ghost who was at the town's library when it burned to the ground.  

*Evan is an eleven-year-old boy who lives in the town where the library burned down years ago.

*After Evan takes two books from the new free library, he finds himself thrust into a mystery that may or may not involve his father.

*With the help of his best friend, Evan begins a search for a mysterious author that may have been at the library when it caught on fire and was never rebuilt.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*The writing was exquisite.  

*I loved how the story was told from the point of view of the cat, the ghost, and a small boy.  

*As an avid reader I loved the theme and focus of the story:  libraries, books, and librarians.  

*As much as the story was driven by the incredible cast of characters, the underlying mystery also held my interest until the very last page.  

*After I finished reading, I knew I was going to share this special story with my fourth grade class because there are so many incredible life-lessons I can't wait to discuss with my young readers.


Who Should Read It:
*As with Bob, I know this story will be a popular choice of my fourth grade readers.  The story could be shared with readers in second grade all the way up through middle-school.  I know it is going to make for an engaging and thoughtful class read aloud.  Once we finish The Do More Club, we will be diving into this beautiful and heart-warming story.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   5 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment