Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, January 14, 2024

Dear Mothman by Robin Gow

How I Heard About It
*I was lucky to receive this middle-grade novel from the publisher, Abrams.  I knew nothing of the title or plot line, but was intrigued by the title and cover.  I sat down, opened to the first page, and could hardly stop until I was finished.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*Noah/Nora is dealing with the loss of his best friend Lewis/Ella.

*These two sixth grade students came together by similar interests, identities, and views of the world around them.

*After the death of Lewis, Noah is lost, alone, and questioning everything around him.

*Lewis and Noah had shared an interest in the "Mothman".  Noah decides to research the mysterious cryptid and share his information at the school science fair.

*As Noah researches the Mothman, he begins to make new friends and wonders if he can finally be who is truly knows he is.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I was drawn into Noah's world from the first page.

*The writing was incredible, beautiful, and full of such rich language.

*The story was told in a series of letters, images, and prose from Noah's point of view.

*The mystery of the "Mothman" was a strong aspect of the story, but the deep feelings, emotions, and experiences of Noah were what drove me through the pages.  

*Not only was this an emotional read, but also a learning experience about the world of a young trans child searching for their place in the world.  


Who Should Read It:
*I highly recommend this novel to ALL readers.  I think adult readers would enjoy just as much as the younger audience.  The story line is probably best suited for middle-school and high-school readers.  If you know of a young trans person, you may want to point them in the direction of this novel.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
  5 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment