Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, February 10, 2024

Mercury by Amy Jo Burns

How I Heard About It
*I had this novel published for adults on my TBR list for quite some time.  The title kept appearing on "best of" lists.  I ended up downloading the story via Audible and listened during my commute to and from school.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*The year is 1990 when young Marley arrives in the town of Mercury.

*She finds herself gaining entry into the Joseph family.  


*At first she begins a short-term relationship with one of the brothers, ends up marrying another brother, and begins a mother-figure to the third brother.

*Marley struggles to form a friendship with matriarch Mrs. Joseph and is only when Mrs. Joseph needs "protection" does Marley find herself truly immersed into the family.  

*With each family member carrying their own secrets, Marley must find the place where she can not only help each of them, but help herself in becoming the woman she knows she can be.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*This was a strong, enjoyable, and thoughtful story.

*I so enjoyed Marley and the transformation she made from first meeting the Foster family members until she became the rock they all needed.

*As much as this was a character driven story, the mystery of the body in the attic of the church, certainly added to the appeal of the plot.

*Each character had their own flaws, but yet I found myself rooting for each of them.

*When I hit the stop bottom after the last word spoken, I felt satisfied and fulfilled.  A well written and heartfelt story.


Who Should Read It:
*I would think most adult readers would find this an enjoyable reading/listening experience.  I put the author's previous work of fiction, Shiner, on my TBR list.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
  4 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment