Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, February 10, 2024

Wishing Season by Anica Mrose Rissi

How I Heard About It
*A book that I have seen off and on over the last year.  I was ready for an audio read during the month of January and decided to listen to this middle-grade novel.  Boy, am I glad I did.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*Anders and Lily.  Lily and Anders.  Twins from start to finish.

*After Anders dies, Lilly isn't sure how to move beyond this point in her life.

*When she finds Anders in the "middle", she realizes she hasn't lost him and the two of them can continue as they always have.

*But as the summer days pass, Lily realizes that the "presence" of Anders is becoming less and less.

*She tries to be there for not only Anders, but also their mother who is grieving the loss of her son.

*Lily finds refuge not only in her time spend in the "middle", but also with newly formed friendships.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*A thoroughly enjoyable listen.  

*I loved everything about the story, the characters, and all the "feels".

*The author did a fantastic job of describing what grief can do to both a sister and mother.  

*The characters that surrounded Lily were so thoughtful, full of grace, and helped Lily move forward as best she could.

*Themes of loss, grief, and perseverance, came through on each and every page.


Who Should Read It:
*In my opinion, I think this would be a beautiful class read aloud.  So many pieces to discuss and share.  The story would be most appropriate for readers in grades four through six.  I can also see the novel being used in middle-school classrooms.  Adult readers would also be quite satisfied with the journey of Lily.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
  5 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment