Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, February 10, 2024

The Beautiful Something Else by Ash Van Otterloo

How I Heard About It
*This story was recommend to me by a fellow reader.  I tried to read the hard cover twice, and found myself not engaged.  Because of their recommendation I decided to try the audio version instead.  I recently just finished.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*Sparrow, which is a name she came up with, is always trying to do the right thing and make sure her mom is safe and alright.  

*When her mother relapses, Sparrow finds herself going to live with an uncle/aunt she didn't know she had.

*While living in her new environment, Sparrow is exposed to all sorts of people living their true lives which is something she has wanted for quite some time.

*With interactions with both young people and adults, Sparrow truly realizes she isn't meant to be a female and wants to live her true and authentic life.

*After her mother returns, Sparrow must decide if she can truly open up to her mother and share who she truly is.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*As I mentioned, I struggled with the printed version of the novel.

*The audio was better, but I still found myself struggling with the overall story.  I'm not exactly sure why?

*I have read other stories about young people who were transgender and searching for their true self, but I didn't enjoy this particular plot line.

*While listening, I kept wondering who the audience was for this particular story.  The book information states grades three through eight, but I disagree.

*The story line and content was geared toward a much older audience.


Who Should Read It:
*In my opinion, this is most appropriate for readers in middle-school and/or high school.  The story line is quite mature and deals with a lot of "big life" issues that I'm not sure young readers are ready for.  I do know readers who enjoyed the story, but it was not for me.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
  3 STARS out of 5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment