Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, January 6, 2014

The Shadow Throne by Jennifer A. Nielsen...

How I Heard About It:  Last year I read The False Prince to my fourth grade class.  We LOVED it!  I was lucky enough to get an ARC of The Runaway King so I read that to my class also.  We LOVED it!  My luck came back this year and I received an ARC of the final book in this series.  I ended my winter break reading the whole book on Sunday.  This was the perfect book to end my vacation with.    

What It Is AboutI don't want to give too much away for those of you who will be reading this book when it comes out in February.  Let me just say you will not be disappointed.  This was the perfect conclusion to an excellent series.  I just wish I had my class from last year so we could share the third installment together.  You can be sure that I will be sharing with my former students how great this book is.  The story takes us on the final journey where war has come to Jaron's country and as King he needs to make sure he defends his country and keeps his people safe.  As with the first two books, he goes on quite an adventure with his "sidekicks" Roden and Tobias along with other characters that have been with him since the beginning of his quests.  The exciting climax of Jaron's journey will leave readers on the edge of their seats with anticipation and excitement.   


What I Thought Of ItI'm sure by now you can already tell how much I loved this book.  Sometimes with a series, the second and third books don't measure up to the first one.  That is not the case with this one.  In fact, I think the books get better and better.  I was very satisfied with the way the author ended the series and brought everything to an end.  As with the first two books, there was lots of action and adventure with many twists and turns along the way.  Each character's story line was also brought to an "appropriate" ending so I was pleased with that. 

Who Should Read It:  Anyone that has read book #1 and #2, has to read this novel to see how events in Jaron's life come to conclusion.  The novel isn't too long just over 300 pages so readers in fourth-sixth grade would be able to handle it well.  If all three books were available in one school year, they sure would make for excellent read alouds.  Adult readers will also enjoy the book.  Happy Reading! 

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars









No comments:

Post a Comment