Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, May 12, 2014

My Big Fat Zombie Goldfish: The Seaquel by Mo O'Hara...

How I Heard About It:  I bought the first book in this series and found that my readers just loved it.  When the second book came out, I knew it was a book that had to become part of our classroom collection.     

What It Is About:  This book picks up where the last one left off.  Tom has rescued Frankie the goldfish from his older brother Mark.  Frankie has now become Tom's bodyguard and they want to make sure they stay ahead of the "evil" brother.  In the first story they head to the seashore for the annual family vacation.  When they get there they realize there is an "Evil Eel of Eel Bay" and Mark becomes very interested in capturing this Eel.  Tom and his friend know they must protect this Eel just like they protected Frankie the goldfish.  The second part of the book brings Tom and his buddies to the school stage and once again the Zombie goldfish needs to come to the rescue and make sure the "evil" brother Mark doesn't ruin the play. 

What I Thought Of It:  After reading both of these books, I can see why they have such appeal to young readers.  They are full of action.  There is lots of adventure.  The silly factor is top-notch.  There isn't much "depth" to the book, but it is a great read that will bring lots of enjoyment to readers.  I thought the illustrations were also wonderful and added greatly to the text.  These are two wonderful additions to my classroom collection. 

Who Should Read It:  In my opinion I think readers in grades three and four could handle this book without any problems.  The text on each page is easy to handle and the illustrations will be appealing to all readers.  Children that like "out of this world" type stuff and a silly plot line, will definitely enjoy both books in the series.  I think this book should be read on their own instead of using it as a read aloud.  Happy Reading...

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment