Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Wonder Wednesday #42...

Wonder Wednesday - Moving Towards a Dream

*Here is a quick blog post about some changes that will be happening for me coming up with the next school year…




Teaching is a journey and this journey for me has been in the making for twenty-three years.  When I think about all the changes in my teaching career, and how far I'm come, it really is simply amazing.

The older I get the more I'm beginning to realize our dreams and goals can truly come to life when we work hard, believe in ourselves, and take big risks in life.

I would have never seen myself with a reading blog that has received over 26,000 views.  I would have never imagined having 755 followers on Twitter.  It would have surprised me to say I've gotten to know (via online) reading gurus such as Donalyn Miller, Colby Sharp, and John Schu.

My teaching of reading and writing has also changed dramatically.  I'm exactly where I was always meant to be and doing exactly what I'm doing on a daily basis.

Our school and staff are moving in a direction in which makes me quite happy and satisfied.  We are going toward a more departmentalized model with teachers spending time with more than one section teaching children a subject matter in which the teacher has a passion and/or strength.

As of today it looks like I will be teaching three sections of language arts with a focus on fiction and literature.  This prospect puts a big smile on my face and a warm spot in my heart.  I'll be spending time with my homeroom and the other two fourth grade classes for about 60 minutes or so.  It has been a joy and pleasure sharing my passion for reading and books with my own homeroom the last few years, but now I get to do it with even more readers.

I feel like when I look back over my teaching career, everything has been leading up to this point and my goals and dreams are actually coming to fruition.  My only complaint is that I wish I had more time in the day to spend with each class.  But I'll take this new journey and open my heart to the possibility of what lays ahead...

No comments:

Post a Comment