Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, October 16, 2014

The Brilliant World of Tom Gates by L. Pichon...

How I Heard About It:  While shopping for books last Sunday, I ran across this book on the shelf.  The cover and title caught my attention and I decided to give it a shot.  I'm glad I did and will be add this book and series to my classroom collection.  

What It Is About:   Tom Gates is a fifth grader in Mr. Fullerman's class.  He isn't the ideal student.  He would rather be doodling, bothering his older sister, or getting the attention of the girl he likes in class.  Tom finds all possible excuses for why he can't get his homework in.  The time in his "band", his drawing, and hanging out with his best buddy.  When Tom and his friend find out their favorite band is coming to town, they will do anything to get tickets to the show.

What I Thought Of It:   The story of Tom and his fifth grade adventures were quite entertaining.  I know there are many graphic novels out there that follow the format of "Wimpy Kid", but this one is pretty darn good and fun to read.  I enjoyed all the "graphics" that went along with the story.  The plot moved along quickly and I was curious as I read to see how everything would turn out.  Not knowing anything about this book, I was pleased with it.  I will definitely be getting the other books in the series.

Who Should Read It:  Being a graphic novel this book needs to be in the hands of the reader.  They need to be able to take in all the illustrations up close and in person.  The adventures of Tom Gates would be perfect for readers in grades three through five.  I know it is going to be a hit with my fourth graders.  Happy Reading!

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment